2019 will mark the launch of the revised Gundooee brand which includes the Gundooee Getaways, encouraging those who have experienced the Gundooee produce to now experience the Gundooee farm.
The self contained cottage provides a peaceful escape from the stresses of everyday life in the city. The fresh air and new found knowledge of the Gundooee farming systems will have you returning home enlightened and relaxed. Eating the local produce amongst the stars will nourish not only your body but your soul as well.
Gundooee is the perfect getaway for people wanting space, and who are inquisitive of where quality food comes from.
“The knowledge and insight you can gain from a short stay at Gundooee is invaluable. This opportunity is a must for anyone wanting to connect to where their food comes from and understand more about the art of farming. Rob was a fantastic host. It was an experience we will never forget.”
SCOTT LYTTLE & ANNALEISE CHALMERS
First ever Gundooee Getaway Guests
and designers of this website!
Why do people like to visit Gundooee?
- To learn about living soil, and how our pasture is produced
- To discover the secret of (and to eat) quality food
- To walk amongst the cattle, and find out why they’re so happy!
- Have a break from city life, and live like a farmer
- Have a base to explore the local area
- An opportunity to pursue sketching/painting
- Great mountain bike trails
- Experience nature, including
- several bush walks in surrounding bushlands
- 100 year old Quandong trees
- remains of the first Gundooee homestead (built in 1880)
Other places to visit in the region or on route
The farm is a refuge, so no hunting inquiries please.
- Every Getaway visit includes a two-hour farm tour with Rob (all packages).
- Package includes a Wagyu beef meal with Rob for every cottage booking night – the dish will vary depending on season and guest preference.
- Arrival and departure times are flexible.
- Pet friendly (though at Rob’s discretion)
- All linen supplied
- For family stays, there is a portable cot and pull-out sofa bed at the cottage which would suit younger kids, or bedrooms in the house for older kids.
- Gundooee is located about 85km north of Mudgee.
- The farm is 860ha in size, and specialises in producing Certified Organic Wagyu beef, although this is not the whole story.
- There are many farm walking options around the property, including visiting the stone wall remains of the original 1880 Gundooee hut.
- You can also enjoy a swim in our swimming pool or bash out a game of tennis on our clay tennis court.
- We have domestic dogs, cats, chickens (free-range) and horses, and they will all love your attention.
- Visit our rare Wild Australian Desert Quandong trees (Santalum acuminatum). This grove has three special trees which we believe are over 100 years old, and are an important part of Indigenous Australian food culture. We also have a fledgling ‘bush tucker’ orchard.
- We have a 10 km unsealed driveway which may cause issues for vehicles with a low ground clearance (such as sports cars), particularly if the weather is wet. Vehicles can be left on a neighbouring property near our turn off if necessary as an ‘Optional extra’.
- Guests have the option to participate in the activities of farm life.
- Supplied Meals:
Dinner at the homestead will feature Gundooee Beef, will be fully catered, and could include a BBQ, roast, Osso Bucco or broth/soup in winter. Rob cooks on an old wood-fired ‘Aga’ stove, and welcomes participation from guests when preparing meals.
- Cottage Meals (BYO breakfast and lunch):
See the ‘Optional extras’ section below if you would like to have these meals catered for (in any way) by Rob – very happy to oblige.
- Morning and afternoon tea:
These are catered for by Rob, and could include some home-made baking.
Drinks are not necessarily supplied as part of the package, but we look forward to sharing drinks between ourselves and guests.
- Extra people beyond the base twin share package (such as children or friends)
- Breakfast and lunches can be provided on request – talk with Rob about options and prices
- Breakfasts can be continental style, or a cooked breakfast
- For lunches we can also pack a hamper to have out on the farm
- Rob can provide food which is often sourced from local produce, including lamb and pork
- Guests also have full access to Rob’s personal vegie garden to help create meals
- Extended or multiple farm tour time. Additional farm tours can be arranged by negotiation @ $50/hour
- Wagyu beef and other farm produce can be purchased at the farm to take home with you – there will be a beef price list inside the cottage folder